Rotary District 6450 Global Scholarship
Rotary District 6450 is accepting applications for a $30,000 to $35,000 Global Scholarship for graduate study from the fall of 2016 to the spring of 2017 in another country based on academic performance in the area of peace and conflict prevention/resolution.
Global Scholarships Program Objectives
The Global Scholarships program supports The Rotary Foundation’s ultimate goal of world understanding and peace by:
- Increasing awareness of and respect for cultural differences by sending people of goodwill to study in another country
- Instilling in scholars the Rotary ideal of Service Above Self through active participation in Rotary service projects
- Encouraging scholars to dedicate their personal and professional lives to improving the quality of life for the people of their home community and country
- Developing leaders who can address the humanitarian needs of the world community
- Fostering a lifelong association between Rotary and its scholars
Rules of Eligibility
All Global Scholarship candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence.
- Candidates must establish economic need.
- Candidates must be citizens of the United States and residents of District 6450.
- Candidates must apply through one of the Rotary Clubs in the District and have the Club’s endorsement.
- Candidates cannot be Rotarians, honorary Rotarians, or employees of a club, district, or other Rotary entity or of Rotary International. Spouses, lineal descendants (child or grandchild by blood, adopted or not adopted), spouses of lineal descendants, and ancestors (parent or grandparent by blood, adopted or not adopted) of persons in the foregoing categories are also ineligible. Please note that Rotarians and their relatives remain ineligible for scholarship awards for 36 months after a Rotarian has discontinued club membership.
- Study or training must be undertaken in another country or territory where there are Rotary clubs willing to be host clubs.
- There are no age or gender restrictions on the Global Scholarships.
- Rotaractors are eligible and encouraged to apply, provided they meet all other eligibility criteria.
- Persons with disabilities are eligible for the Global Scholarship if otherwise qualified.
- The candidate who receives the scholarship must attend an orientation session.
- Acceptance of the scholarship involves the completion of academic and financial reports during the time of study.
- Scholarship winners will have an obligation to speak to Rotary Clubs in the country in which they study and in District 6450 upon return to the United States
The application process has multiple steps as follows:
- The candidate must apply and be accepted in a college or university in a country that has Rotary Clubs with members willing to serve as host sponsor. The District 6450 Scholarship Committee will help the candidate determine if there are such Rotary Clubs in the area where the college or university is located.
- The candidate must apply to a local Rotary club(s) in the District 6450 that has/have members willing to serve as international sponsors. The District 6450 Scholarship Committee will assist the candidate in working with local clubs.
- The District 6450 Scholarship Committee will review the applications it receives, interview the eligible candidates and select the successful candidate. The Scholarship Committee will then apply for a global grant from Rotary International in the name of the successful candidate. As part of that process, the District 6450 Scholarship Committee will work with the host Rotary district and host local club where the college or university is located.
- Rotary International will arrange flights to and from the college or university for the scholarship recipient.
- Scholarship payments will be made according to the rules and regulations established by Rotary International.
- The scholarship recipient will have to report expenses and academic progress.
- A writable application can be found at Info@rotary6450.net or from Bob Giles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application should be emailed to email@example.com or Info@rotary6450.net - put “Global Scholarship and Name” in the Subject Line.
Monday, January 4, 2016: Application deadline.
Saturday, January 9, 2016: The Scholarship Committee will interview the candidates starting at 9:00 AM.
March 2016: The successful candidate will attend a Rotary In